Funders & Governance
We are funded by the Gatsby Charitable Foundation and Wellcome. We are located within UCL’s School of Life and Medical Sciences and closely associated with the Faculties of Life Sciences and Brain Sciences.
The Centre is overseen by the SWC Governing Board, on which the two funding partners and UCL are represented. The Board also benefits from the expertise of a number of internationally renowned neuroscientists with experience in operating world-class research institutes. The Board undertakes high-level approval of the Director’s scientific and non-scientific strategy and policies, and reviews and approves recruitment decisions for new Group Leaders and senior administrative staff. The Board also has fiscal oversight of the Centre’s operations.
The Governing Board voting members are:
- Sir Malcolm Grant, Chair
- Professor Carol Barnes (University of Arizona)
- Peter Hesketh (Gatsby Charitable Foundation)
- Professor Robert Kass (Carnegie Mellon University)
- Professor David Lomas (UCL Vice-Provost, Health)
- Professor Cheryl Moore (New York Genome Center)
- Professor Tony Movshon (New York University)
- Professor Mike Turner (Wellcome)
Additional members of the Governing Board include Dr Sarah Caddick (Thalamic), Professor Geraint Rees (Dean, Faculty of Life Sciences, UCL), Professor Alan Thompson (Dean, Faculty of Brain Sciences, UCL), Dr Andrew Welchman (Head of Neuroscience and Mental Health at Wellcome), the SWC Executive Team and the GCNU Director.